The Problem of Patient Care in Moldova
The 22 years surveillance in PMSI Institute of Oncology shows 424 defect patients. This means annually an average of 21 new patients with intra oral and extra oral defects. The last 5 years (2002 - 2006) data of Department of statistics are as follows:
- Total tumour prevalence in Moldova is growing in this period from 6080 to 7361 cases.
- Lip cancer (COO) incidence varied from 98 to 94, with 5 years survival of 45,3%
- Head and neck cancer (CO1-CO14) incidence shows a variation from 258 up to 274 and 231, with five-year survival of 34,7%
- Melanoma (C43) incidence shows an increase from 58 to 82, with a five-year survival of 47,4 %
silicone Labial prosthesis made by prosthetist, remake needed within 6 months
The compartments of the main objective and the efforts made for its implementation:
- Creation, organization and initiation of a rehabilitation service (prosthetic and palliative) in Republic of Moldova (PMSI Institute of Oncology). The service will offer qualitative and treat patients with facial defects after combined anticancer treatment and extensive operations for head and neck tumors and patients after traumatic injures.
- Theoretical and practical training of the future prosthetic service team members (prosthesis specialist, technician and palliative care doctor).
- Finding of financial sources for reparation and refurnishing of the offices for prosthetic service.
- Finding of the needed equipment and materials for prosthetic service activity.
- Improvement of infrastructure of peri-operative care of dep. Of Microsurgery and transplants of Head and neck oncology.
- assessment of the clinical function and quality of prosthesis and rehabilitation activity will be done during the daily meetings, when all the team problems are discussed
- during weekly and daily meetings, each patient will be discussed with assessment of the quality of the treatment performed
- at the first patient addressing and as frequently as it is needed, appreciation of the quality of symptom control will be done by using questionnaires
- at the end of each quarter, assessment will be done using the following data:
- number of consulted patients
- number of consulted PMSI Institute of Oncology staff members
- number and quality of provided prosthesis
- number of trainings, courses and lectures to the MMPCT members and medical staff
- a prosthetic service and complex rehabilitation Care Team in the PMSI Institute of Oncology in action
- PS & CR members has the needed qualification to perform a gold standard maxillofacial rehabilitation.
- at least 50 head and neck oncology patients and their caregivers consulted by PS & CR
- a good assistance to medical staff of the PMSI Institute of Oncology for a comprehensive approach to the cancer patient with advanced disease and complementary assistance in the frame of the Institute of Oncology and outside it.